There are several types of Guava all around the world. White guava or Tropical white guava, Pink guava, Yellow guava or Yellow strawberry guava, and Lemon guava are some of them.
However, white guava and pink guava are the most popular types among fruit lovers when considering all these types.
What is the difference between White guava and Pink guava?
The main factors that cause this color variation of two cousins are carotenoids and polyphenols. Carotenoids and polyphenols are the compounds that have the power to color fruits and vegetables.
Mostly these compounds give bright red, orange hue, and yellow to the fruits and veggies. These compounds, carotenoids, and polyphenols also cause the pink flesh of pink guava. But on the other hand, white guava does not have enough carotenoids and polyphenols.
Another main point is, fruit lovers are highly concern about is taste. In general, white guava is sweeter in flavor than pink guava. Because pink guava has less sweetness. However, the taste depends on the preference of each other. But frequently use pink guava to prepare juice. When comparing the scent of both guavas, pink guava has a stronger scent than white guava.
Vitamin C is one of the main nutrients essential for the human body. Because vitamin C increase vision of the eye, assist and protect the immune system, prevents scurvy and protect cells. Comparatively, white guava has more vitamin C content.
What is the White Guava?
White guava is one of the most popular types of guava all around the world. White guava is also known as tropical white guava. Scientifically, White guava is known as Psidium guajava. Also, White guava belongs to the family of Myrtaceae.
Normally, you can taste guava in all countries. But their native countries are Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, and South America in the northern region. Nowadays, guava grows in many countries such as India, Southeast Asia, Oceania, South West Europe, and some parts of Africa.
The appearance and size of White guava are similar to the common guava. But simply this is a pack of vitamin C that covers with a green-yellow colored smooth skin/outer layer. Its pulps or flesh is white or cream in color. This is the main reason to name this fruit as white guava.
Further, this is the main difference when comparing with pink guava. Although white guava tastes sweet, it has some slightly acidic/citrus flavor. You can prepare several beverages and other foods including guava juice, guava pie, guava smoothie, guava jam, guava glaze, and guava cookies.
What is the Pink Guava?
Pink guava is also a popular member of the guava family. This fruit has fig-shaped and smooth green skin. But if you have seen pink guava when ripe, it is like a yellow bulb. Because after ripe, its skin is bright yellow in color.
Pink guava has a pink color flash or pulps. And pulp of pink guava load with seeds. This is how pink guava got its name. Pink flesh is a sweet-tart taste and it has a musky fragrance. But pink guava’s taste of bitter, soft or sweet is depending on the level of the ripeness. But when comparing with white guava, pink guava has a less sweet taste.
Pink guava is a powerhouse of nutrients. Pink guava grows in subtropical and tropical regions of the United State including Florida, Hawaii, and Southern California. In addition, plantations of pink guava can be found in Asia, South Africa, and South America.
A single pink guava tree has the ability to produce 50-80 pounds of guava per year. You can harvest pink guava when their green skin turns into bright yellow. You can find pink guava in late spring and summer. Pink guava uses to make jellies, ice cream, jams, spritzer, and cocktails.
Nutrients content of Guava
Guava contains 8.92g of sugar per 100g and also it has 14.32g carbohydrate and 5.4g of dietary fiber per 100g. Moreover, guava contains protein and fat respectively 2.55g and 0.95g per 100g.
When concern about vitamins that pack in guava, there are many vitamins that essential to process the human body’s functions. These are vitamin A, Thiamine (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3) Pantothenic acid (B5), vitamin (B6), Folate (B9) vitamin C, vitamin K. Guava has more minerals than require to the body. Calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and zinc are some of them.
Nutrients content: White guava vs Pink guava
When considering vitamin C content, White guava includes more vitamin C than pink guava. Sugar is the main nutrient that people highly worry about. White guava has more sugar content.
Pink guava contains less sugar. Because of that, it can be recommended the people who highly concern about the sugar level. And also, when comparing starch content between white guava and pink guava, pink guava has less starch content.
Health Benefits of White Guava and Pink Guava
- Calcium is the one of nutrients contains in pink and white guava. Calcium forms strong bones and teeth.
- When comparing pink and white guava, Vitamin C, a high source is a white guava. Vitamin C maintains and protects your immune system and cells of your body and prevents scurvy. It improves the health of teeth, bones, cartilage, blood vessels as well as skin. On the other hand, vitamin C helps to heal wounds and to repair damaged tissues. It is the main factor that helps to absorb iron into the human body. Also, vitamin C produces collagen in the human body.
- Vitamin E also packs in these guavas. Vitamin E develops your eye vision and reduces the risk of cancer. Mainly it helps to function of the immune system. Basically, it enhances the health of the skin.
- Vitamin A contains pink and white guava. Vitamin A support to improve your vision and boost your function of the immune system. Furthermore, it assists the heart, lungs, and kidneys.
- Fiber helps with digestion, constipation, and intestinal issues.
- Folate or vitamin B9 also include in pink and white guava. Folate generates red and white blood cells. And also, this nutrient helps to convert carbohydrates into energy. Another thing is folate produces DNA and RNA in our body.
- Iron is another nutrient and it causes hemoglobin production. Hemoglobin is an essential factor to distribute oxygen in the human body. Also, iron has the ability to prevent anemia.
- By eating pink and white guava, you can add magnesium to your body. Magnesium cause to remain your health. Magnesium acts the main role in blood pressure, muscle nerve functions, and also blood sugar level. Further, it helps to generate DNA, protein, and bone in your body.
- The other one is manganese. Manganese empowers the enzymes for bodily chemical processes including metabolism.
- If you eat white and pink guava, you can gather phosphorous too. Phosphorous helps to assist hormone imbalance, aids in digestion as well as aids in cell and tissue growth/ maintenance/ repair. Further, it helps to build teeth and bones. Also, it regulates the usage of fat and carbohydrate in the body.